Unordered List

Deep Fried Brain - of a PMP

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Here’s a Quick Way to Transform into a Powerful Communicator


Do you know that we use certain words in our writing and speech that reflect lack of confidence on our part? Do you want to learn a quick way to transform into a Powerful Communicator? If yes, read further.

This tip is really simple, yet powerful. Let's consider these pair of statements to start with:

  • We will try to deliver the project on time.
  • We will deliver the project on time.
  • I think you can solve the problem. You are the expert, right?
  • I'm sure you can solve the problem. You are the expert.
  • I believe this solution will work.
  • I'm confident this solution will work.
Do you see any pattern in these pairs. The first statement in each pair reflects uncertainty, indecisiveness, a need for affirmation, and an overall lack of confidence. Here's a list of "weak words/phrases" that reflect a lack of confidence in our own actions:

  • Try
  • Might
  • In my opinion
  • Maybe
  • Consider
  • I feel
  • As far as I can tell
  • Possibly
  • Probably
  • Hope to
  • I suppose
  • Perhaps
  • OK?
  • Right?
  • I suggest
  • With luck
  • Would like to
  • I think
  • I believe

I hear these words around me so often that they seem almost indispensable for some folks. We must strive to minimize the use of these words in writing (such as in emails, memos, formal letters, documents) and speech (such as in meetings, telephone conversations, business speeches, Toastmasters speeches) as much as possible, in order to transform into a Powerful Communicator.

The most notorious culprits that have crept into almost everyone's vocabulary are Maybe, I think, OK?, and Right?. We can start with concentrating on minimizing the use of these words first.

Note: All the words and phrases listed above as "weak" are legitimate and have their use in writing and speech. They are not always "bad". It depends upon the context in which we use them. Also, excess and repeated use of any one of these words/phrases or a combination of them, won't reflect well on the person using them. For example, a statement, "I believe in my abilities", is very strong. But, if I say, "I believe I can complete this work by next week", isn't such a strong statement.

I hope, or rather, I'm sure you enjoyed reading this tip.

No comments: